The art of skiving
I couldn't tell you what Webster's definition is but skiving is a lot like procrastinating. It's «working» on something so that you don't have to do something else. So when you find your house is the cleanest around finals, you might be skiving.
Skiving is an art in the NAVY. Everyone does it with varying degrees of success. I'd have to say I'm getting quite good at it. Here's some tips:
-Hide. If someone needs something they'll call you. If you're not seen, they can't task you.
-Find something to do before someone else finds something for you to do.
-Skive now, work later. If you have a choice of taking lunch now or later, take it now. You might get sliders (afternoon) later.
-If there's no meaningful work to be done, take your time doing the bullshit jobs or you'll just end up with more bullshit.
Obviously there's times to skive and times to work but I tell you from experience as an arts student and being in the NAVY, skiving is a whole lot funner.

3 Comments:
Fnukcig spam!
Anyways, It's nice to ahve a technical term of what I would like my future profession to be!
I didn't get to see you?! That bites. Next time I guess!
Chrissy - I came out of chapel today and thought about you and how much i miss your positive attitude and upbeat spirit. I hope your having a good time and i just wanted to say hi!
Post a Comment
<< Home